Wednesday, 14 November 2012

What is design for print: A-Z printing terminology

Accordion fold
 Bindery term, two or more parallel folds which open like an accordion. 
Against the grain
 At right angles to direction of paper grain. 
 Change in copy of specifications after production has begun. 
Art board
 Alternate term for mechanical art. 
Author's corrections
 Also know as "AC's". Changed and additions in copy after it has been typeset. 
Back up
 Printing the second side of a sheet already printed on one side. 
 Method of packaging printed pieces of paper using rubber or paper bands. 
Basis weight
 Weight in pounds of a ream of paper cut to the basic size for its grade. 
 To fasten sheets or signatures with wire, thread, glue. or by other means. 
 The finishing department of a print shop or firm specializing in finishing printed products. 
 The thick rubber mat on a printing press that transfers ink from the plate to paper. 
 Printing that goes to the edge of the sheet after trimming. 
Blind embossing
 An image pressed into a sheet without ink or foil. 
 A blue photographic proof used to check position of all image elements. 
 Alternate term for mechanical. 
Bond & carbon
 Business form with paper and carbon paper. 
Bond paper
 Strong durable paper grade used for letterheads and business forms. 
Break for color
 Also known as a color break. To separate mechanically or by software the parts to be printed in different colors. 
 The brilliance or reflectance of paper. 
 Thickness of paper stock in thousandths of an inch or number of pages per inch. 
Bulk pack
 Boxing printed product without wrapping or banding. 
 Exposing a printing plate to high intensity light or placing an image on a printing plate by light. 
 Joining images without overlapping. 
Butt fit
 Printed colors that overlap one row of dots so they appear to butt. 
 Pressure sensitive writing paper that does not use carbon. 
 Paper thickness in thousandths of an inch. 
Camera-ready copy
 Print ready mechanical art. 
 A truck load of paper weighing 40000 pounds. 
Case bind
 A type of binding used in making hard cover books using glue. 
Cast coated
 Coated paper with a high gloss reflective finish. 
 A term for a transparency. 
Coated paper
 A clay coated printing paper with a smooth finish. 
 A finishing term for gathering paper in a precise order. 
Color bar
 A quality control term regarding the spots of ink color on the tail of a sheet. 
Color correction
 Methods of improving color separations. 
Color filter
 Filters uses in making color separations, red, blue, green. 
Color key
 Color proofs in layers of acetate
Color matching system
 A system of formulated ink colors used for communicating color. 
Color separations
 The process of preparing artwork, photographs, transparencies, or computer generated art for printing by separating into the four primary printing colors. 
Comb bind
 To plastic comb bind by inserting the comb into punched holes. 
Composite film
 Combining two or more images on one or more pieces of film. 
Continuous-tone copy
 Illustrations, photographs or computer files that contain gradient tones from black to white or light to dark. 
 The tonal change in color from light to dark. 
 All furnished material or disc used in the production of a printed product. 
Cover paper
 A heavy printing paper used to cover books, make presentation folders, etc. 
Crash number
 Numbering paper by pressing an image on the first sheet which is transferred to all parts of the printed set. 
 Puncture marks holding business forms together. 
 Trade name for DuPont color proofs. 
 To cut off parts of a picture or image. 
Crop marks
 Printed lines showing where to trim a printed sheet. 
 Printing across the gutter or from one page to the facing page of a publication. 
 One of four standard process colors. The blue color. 
 A quality control devise to measure the density of printing ink. 
 The degree of color or darkness of an image or photograph. 
 A light sensitive coating used on printing plates. 
 Metal rule or imaged block used to cut or place an image on paper in the finishing process. 
Die cutting
 Curing images in or out of paper. 
 An element of halftones. Using a loupe you will see that printed pictures are made many dots. 
Dot gain or spread
 A term used to explain the difference in size between the dot on film v paper. 
Double burn
 Exposing a plate to multiple images. 
 A sample of ink and paper used to evaluate ink colors. 
 Portions of artwork that do not print. 
 A rough layout of a printed piece showing position and finished size. 
 A halftone picture made up of two printed colors. 
 Photographic paper made by DuPont and used for bluelines. 
 Pressing an image into paper so that it will create a raised relief. 
 Light sensitive coating found on printing plates and film. 
 A patented method of binding perfect bound books so they will open and lay flatter. 
Facsimile transmission
 The process of converting graphic images into electronic signals. 
Film rip
 See Rip film. 
 An assembly of negatives taped to masking materials for platemaking. 
 To cover a printed page with ink, varnish, or plastic coating. 
 The reverse side of an image. 
 A metallic or pigmented coating on plastic sheets or rolls used in foil stamping and foil embossing.
Foil emboss
 Foil stamping and embossing a image on paper with a die. 
Foil stamping
 Using a die to place a metallic or pigmented image on paper. 
 The process of combining four basic colors to create a printed color picture or colors composed from the basic four colors. 
French fold
 Two folds at right angles to each other. 
Galley proof
 Text copy before it is put into a mechanical layout or desktop layout. 
 Getting the most out of a printing press by using the maximum sheet size to print multiple images or jobs on the same sheet. A way to save money. 
 Stages of reproduction from original copy. A first generation reproduction yields the best quality. 
Ghost bars
 A quality control method used to reduce ghosted image created by heat or chemical contamination. 
 A faint printed image that appears on a printed sheet where it was not intended. More often than not this problem is a function of graphical design. It is hard to tell when or where ghosting will occur. Sometimes you can see the problem developing immediately after printing the sheet, other times the problem occurs while drying. However the problem occurs it is costly to fix, if it can be fixed. Occasionally it can be eliminated by changing the color sequence, the inks, the paper, changing to a press with a drier, printing the problem area in a separate pass through the press or changing the racking (reducing the number of sheets on the drying racks). Since it is a function of graphical design, the buyer pays for the increased cost. 
 A shiny look reflecting light. 
 The direction in which the paper fiber lie. 
 The metal fingers on a printing press that hold the paper as it passes through the press. 
 A very thin line or gap about the width of a hair or 1/100 inch. 
 Converting a continuous tone to dots for printing. 
Hard copy
 The output of a computer printer, or typed text sent for typesetting. 
 Reoccurring unplanned spots that appear in the printed image from dust, lint, dried ink. 
High-bulk paper
 A paper made thicker than its standard basis weight. 
 The lightest areas in a picture or halftone. 
Image area
 Portion of paper on which ink can appear. 
 Positioning printed pages so they will fold in the proper order. 
 Putting an image on paper. 
 Adding copy to a previously printed page. 
 Postal information place on a printed product. 
Ink fountain
 The reservoir on a printing press that hold the ink. 
 Lines on mechanical art that show position of photographs or illustrations. 
Kiss die cut
 To cut the top layer of a pressure sensitive sheet and not the backing. 
Knock out
 To mask out an image. 
Laid finish
 Simulating the surface of handmade paper. 
 To cover with film, to bond or glue one surface to another. 
 See Eurobind. 
Line copy
 High contrast copy not requiring a halftone. 
Lines per inch
 The number of rows of dots per inch in a halftone. 
 A magnifying glass used to review a printed image, plate and position film. 
 Process red, one of the basic colors in process color. 
 All the activities required to prepare a press for printing. 
Marginal words
 Call outs for directions on various parts of a business form. 
 Blocking light from reaching parts of a printing plate. 
 Trade name for 3M integral color proof. 
Matte finish
 Dull paper or ink finish. 
 Camera ready art all contained on one board. 
Mechanical separation
 Mechanical art overlay for each color to be printed. 
 Instrument used to measure the thickness of different papers. 
Middle tones
 The tones in a photograph that are approximately half as dark as the shadow area. 
 Occurs when screen angles are wrong causing odd patterns in photographs. 
 The image on film that makes the white areas of originals black and black areas white. 
Non-reproducing blue
 A blue color the camera cannot see. Used in marking up artwork. 
 Using an intermediate surface used to transfer ink. Also, an unpleasant happening when the images of freshly printed sheets transfer images to each other. 
Offset paper
 Term for uncoated book paper. 
Ok sheet
 Final approved color inking sheet before production begins. 
 The amount of show-through on a printed sheet. The more opacity or the thicker the paper the less show-through. (The thicker/heavier the paper the higher the cost.) 
Outline halftone
 Removing the background of a picture or silhouetting an image in a picture. 
 The transparent cover sheet on artwork often used for instructions. 
Overrun or overs
 Copies printed in excess of the specified quantity. (Printing trade terms allow for + - 10 % to represent a completed order.) 
is the name of a company that markets diazo process products and equipment that makes diazo blueline prints used primarily in the US by engineering and architectual firms. However diazo or "Ozalid" proofs are most often used in England, other European, Hong Kong, Korean, and Singapore by printers as the proofing means comparable to our Dylux, or Blueline proof. Submitted by Ernie Engle Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 15:15:14 EDT
Page count
 Total number of pages in a book including blanks. 
Pattern carbon
 Special carbon paper used in business forms that only transfers in certain areas. 
Perfect bind
 A type of binding that glues the edge of sheets to a cover like a telephone book, Microsoft software manual, or Country Living Magazine. 
Perfecting press
 A sheet fed printing press that prints both sides of a sheet in one pass. 
 Unit of measure in typesetting. One pica = 1/6 inch. 
 Printers nightmare that occurs as the surface of a sheet lifts off during printing. Generally a paper manufactures quality control problem. 
Pin register
 A standard used to fit film to film and film to plates and plates to press to assure the proper registration of printer colors. 
Plate gap
 Gripper space. The area where the grippers hold the sheet as it passes through the press. 
 The abbreviated name of the Pantone Color Matching System. 
 Abbreviated name for photomechanical transfer. Often used to make position prints. 
 For paper, a unit of thickness equaling 1/1000 inch. for typesetting, a unit of height equaling 1/72 inch. 
 The computer language most recognized by printing devices. 
Press number
 A method of numbering manufacturing business forms or tickets. 
Pressure-sensitive paper
 Paper material with self sticking adhesive covered by a backing sheet. 
Process blue
 The blue or cyan color in process printing. 
Process colors
 Cyan (blue), magenta (process red), yellow (process yellow), black (process black). 
Ragged left
 Type that is justified to the right margin and the line lengths vary on the left. 
Ragged right
 Type that is justified to the left margin and the line lengths vary on the right. 
 Five hundred sheets of paper. 
 Right-hand page of an open book. 
Reflective copy
 Copy that is not transparent. 
 To position print in the proper position in relation to the edge of the sheet and to other printing on the same sheet. 
Register marks
 Cross-hair lines or marks on film, plates, and paper that guide strippers, platemakers, pressmen, and bindery personnel in processing a print order from start to finish. 
 The opposite of what you see. Printing the background of an image. For example; type your name on a piece of paper. The reverse of this would be a black piece of paper with a white name. 
Rip film
 A method of making printing negatives from PostScript files created by desktop publishing. 
Saddle stitch
 Binding a booklet or magazine with staples in the seam where it folds. 
 Device used to make color separations, halftones, duo tones and tri tones. Also a device used to scan art, pictures or drawings in desktop publishing. 
 A crease put on paper to help it fold better. 
Screen angles
 Frequently a desktop publishers nightmare. The angles at which halftone, duo tones, tri tones, and color separation printing films are placed to make them look right. 
 Using the same paper as the text for the cover. 
 The darkest areas of a photograph. 
 Printing on one side of a sheet that can be seen on the other side of the sheet. 
Side guide
 The mechanical register unit on a printing press that positions a sheet from the side. 
Side stitch
 Binding by stapling along one side of a sheet. 
 A sheet of printed pages which when folded become a part of a book or publication. 
Silhouette halftone
 A term used for an outline halftone. 
 A pallet used for a pile of cut sheets. 
 A precise description of a print order. 
 The binding edge of a book or publication. 
Split fountain
 Putting more than one ink in a printing fountain to achieve special color affects. 
 Planned paper waste for all printing operations. 
Spot varnish
 Varnish used to hilight a specific part of the printed sheet. 
 Term for foil stamping. 
 Term for inexpensive print of line copy or halftone. 
 A procedure for placing the same image on plates in multiple places. 
 A proof mark meaning let the original copy stand. 
 The material to be printed. 
 The positioning of film on a flat prior to platemaking. 
Substance weight
 A term of basis weight when referring to bond papers. 
 Any surface on which printing is done. 
Text paper
 Grades of uncoated paper with textured surfaces. 
 A shade of a single color or combined colors. 
Tissue overlay
 Usually a thin transparent paper placed over artwork for protection uses for marking color breaks and other printer instructions. 
Transfer tape
 A peel and stick tape used in business forms. 
 A positive photographic slide on film allowing light to pass through. 
Transparent copy
 A film that light must pass through for it to be seen or reproduced. 
Transparent ink
 A printing ink that does not conceal the color under it. 
 The ability to print one ink over the other. 
Trim marks
 Similar to crop or register marks. These marks show where to trim the printed sheet. 
Trim size
 The final size of one printed image after the last trim is made. 
 Production of fewer copies than ordered. See over run. 
 Printing two or three up means printing multiple copies of the same image on the same sheet. 
UV coating
 Liquid laminate bonded and cured with ultraviolet light - Environmentally friendly. 
 A clear liquid applied to printed surfaces for looks and protection. (UV coating looks better.) 
 The left hand page of an open book. 
Vignette halftone
 A halftone whose background gradually fades to white. 
 Removing printing ink from a press, washing the rollers and blanket. Certain ink colors require multiple wash-ups to avoid ink and chemical contamination. 
 A term for planned spoilage. 
 A distinctive design created in paper at the time of manufacture that can be easily seen by holding the paper up to a light. 
 A roll of printing paper. 
Web press
 The name of a type of presses that print from rolls of paper. 
Wire O
 A bindery trade name for mechanical binding using double loops of wire through a hole. 
Wire-O binding
 A method of wire binding books along the binding edge that will allow the book to lay flat using double loops. See Wire O. 
With the grain
 Folding or feeding paper into the press or folder parallel to the grain of the paper. 
Work and tumble
 Printing one side of a sheet and turning it over from the gripper to the tail to print the second side using the same side guide and plate for the second side. 
Work and turn
 Printing one side of a sheet and turning it over from left to right using the same side guides and plate for the second side. 
Wove paper
 A paper having a uniform unlined surface with a smooth finish.


4-Color-Process:The process of combining four process colors ‹ cyan, magenta, yellow, black ‹ to create a printed full color picture or to create colors composed from these four colors. (See CMYK)
AI (Adobe Illustrator): Illustration computer graphic application. This application is used to render line art drawn in paths and allows the designer to resize images freely without getting pixilated edges as in the case with bitmapped images.
Album: A book containing photographs pasted in place.
Art Cloth Cover: Cotton fabric Fastback Hardcover. This is a bright material ideally suited for art books and professional photography books.
Bindercover: Pre-cut covers in a variety of colors.
Bleed: The part of the image area that prints past the edges of the page and is removed during final trimming.
Bond Paper: Standard office paper. Usually sold in 20# and 24# weights.
Bonded Leather: A leather-based material made by mixing real leather fibers with a latex or similar base. The end product looks, smells and feels very much like real leather, but at a much lower cost.
Book Block: The interior sheets of the book without the cover.
Calendering: The process giving paper a smooth finish by running the paper through smooth cylinders during the manufacturing process. Calendered paper comes in several finishes. At its calendered, paper using this process resembles coated paper in texture.
Case: Industry term for hard cover.
Case Binding: The traditional process of making hard cover books.
Casing-In: The process of attaching the hard cover case to the book block.
Clear Cover: A special plastic material designed to work well with the Fastback binders. Unlike some other plastics, Clear Cover will not melt when binding. It is also compatible with the Foilfast binder, allowing you to add foil printing to transparent covers.
Clear Liner: A thin plastic adhesive sheet designed to make book rebinding easier than ever. Ideally suited to the fast repair of non-archival books.
CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black): The subtractive primaries, or process colors, used in color printing, also used to describe the printing process itself.
Coated Paper: Paper that has a fine layer of clay, resin, or some other substrate that gives the paper a smooth, often shiny appearance for rich color printing. Coated papers can be difficult to bind using standard thermal-adhesive methods. Some form of paper preparation is recommended beforehand (see Splitter, notching, milling, roughing).
CP Strip: Special thermal strip designed to let you bind books that are printed on smooth papers, or are printed with a laser printer that uses fuser oil.
Comb Binding: An older punch-and-bind system that uses a thick plastic comb. Sometimes referred to as GBC binding.
Comp Cover: Powis Parker's kidskin, paper-based and patterned material. Available in Hardcovers and in individual cover sheets for external binding.
Comp Strip: Thermal strip that matches the comp cover material in appearance. Ideally suited for special presentations of tape-bound documents.
Crash: The gauze-like material that is glued onto traditional book spines to keep the signatures together. Because the Fastback Binding System does not use traditional binding techniques, the crash (also called the "super") is not required. It is replaced with the binding strip.
Custom bookmaking: Hard cover books individually made by hand.
Debossing: A stamping process with a machine die that leaves an image pressed into the surface of a book cover. Sometimes erroneously referred to as embossing.
Die: (pl.: dies) A tool used for cutting shapes or impressing patterns in other materials. Dies are used for traditional hot stamping to apply foil, emboss paper, or both.
Die Cutting: The process of cutting a pattern in a sheet or book cover using specially-made dies.
Die-cut Window: A window on the front of a Photobook Hardcover that is cut out but not wrapped.
DPI: is the number of dots (or pixels - PPI) that fit horizontally and vertically into a one-inch measure. The more dots per inch, the more detail is captured and the sharper the image.
Dye-sub: Short for dye sublimation—a process that converts solid inks into to gases before printing, then back into solids when printing. Dye-sub printing is favored where water-soluble inks will not work, or on surfaces that do not readily accept other types of ink.
Edge Preparation: The treatment of a sheet of paper to create a stronger bind.
Electronic File Name: The name of your digital file.
Embossing: A machine die stamping process that leaves a raised impression on book cover. See also "debossing."
End Paper: See "Endleaf."
Endleaf: (pl.: endleaves) The stiff paper that attaches the book block to the front and back inside covers.
EPS (Encapsulated Postscript): A self-contained graphics file written in PostScript that contains all the elements needed to print the file without using the program in which the file was originally created.
Fastback Binding System: Powis Parker's unique thermal binding system that allows you to make tape bound, perfect-bound and hard cover books one at a time in an office environment.
Foilfast printer: Powis Parker's foil printer, which prints in foil from most office computers.
Foilfast Title Sheet: Adhesive sheets that match Powis Parker's Suede and Comp Hardcovers. Designed to work with let you add foil printing to your books.
Font: At one time, font referred to the available characters for a typeface at a specific size (e.g., Helvetica 12 pt.). With the advent of desktop publishing, the concept lost its meaning and today is today interchangeable with typeface.
Full Bleed: A page that has an image that prints all the way to edges on all four sides. See also: Bleed.
Fuser Oil: Oil that is used to prevent laser printer toner from sticking to the heating element. Fuser oil can cause problems when binding because it leaves a fine layer of oil on a sheet, which can prevent the binding adhesive from coming in full contact with the paper.
GBC Binding: See "Comb Binding."
Glossy Paper: Paper coated with a slick and shiny surface. Often used in magazines, yearbooks, and photo books.
Grain Direction: The direction in which the fibers of the paper are oriented. It is important to ensure that the grain direction is parallel with the bind to achieve the best results.
Hardcover Guide: Assembly jig used to center and attach a Fastback Hardcover to a book block. It is also used to identify the correct Fastback Hardcover book widths, and to attach Foilfast Title sheets to the covers.
Headband: The narrow piece of striped or solid fabric at the top and the bottom of each book block. The headband was once an integral part of the binding process, but now it is purely decorative.
Hot Foil Stamping: The process of applying foil to a sheet or cover by applying heat and pressure. Hot foil stamping requires special equipment and dies similar to those used for debossing.
Inkjet: A printing process that uses liquid inks sprayed onto paper to create images.
Kromekote: A brand of coated card stock often used for business cards.
Library Cloth Cover: Rayon fabric Fastback Hardcover. This is an extremely rugged cover designed for heavy use, such as one might experience in a library or similar setting. Ideal for binding books for heavy use purposes or a traditional look and feel.
Linen Strip: A Fastback Super Strip made to resemble the "crash" used in traditional hard cover bookbinding.
Long Grain: See "Paper Grain."
Marbled Paper: Decorative sheet of paper printed with a pattern that resembles marble. Often used for endleaves in expensive books.
Matte Paper: Paper that is coated with a non-glossy surface. Matte paper is often used to create drama when combined with printed photos which appear shiny in comparison to the paper.
Memory Book: A scrapbook or photo album devoted to specific people or events.
Milling: A technique used to help bind perfect-bound books. The binding edge of the book block is abraded to expose more fibers and increase the size of the binding edge. Normally it is used with calendered or coated paper to improve the bind.
Minilab: A retail store department or kiosk that offers on-site film processing. A quick print outlet.
Newton: A unit of measurement used to measure bind strength. A newton is the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.
Notching: A technique used to improve the bind on perfect-bound books. Small notches are cut along the binding edge to increase the edge area available when the book is glued. Normally it is used with coated or calendered paper to improve the bind (see, The Photobook Binding Challenge White Paper).
Offset Printing rinting technique that transfers ink from a plate to a blanket to paper instead of directly from plate to paper.
Page Turn Test: A test used to determine how many times a book page will turn before falling out. The equipment used for this test mimics the action of a person aggressively turning a page in a book.
Paper Grain: The direction in which the fibers in a sheet of paper line up. Paper grain is normally either short grain or long grain. [diagram]
Paper Weight: There are several methods of measuring paper weights. Designations such as "bond" and "text" indicate weight measurements based on specific master sheet sizes (see Paper Weights Chart for more information). As a universal weight comparison, most papers also list the weight in grams.
Perfect Bind: Perfect-binding is the process of binding individual sheets directly to the inside spine of a softcover. This is process used most commonly to bind paperback books.
Perfectback Strip: Powis Parker's patented strip that allows you to make softcover (paperback) books with a Fastback binder. Perfectback strips are available for the 15xs and the 9 binders.
Photo Book or Photobook: A book that consists primarily of photographic images.
Photobook Production Cell: Powis Parker's system for creating photo books. The Photobook Production Cellconsists of a Fastback Splitter, a Fastback Photobook binder, and a Fastback Hardcover Guide.
PhotoPro Strip: Powis Parker's patented thermal adhesive strip designed for use with the Fastback 25 Photobook binder, and the Fastback Splitter.
Pixels: Individual squares of color that, when viewed from a distance, appear to make up a photographic image. The image you see on a computer screen is made up of pixels. Also referred to as raster graphics or bitmapped images.
PMS (Pantone Matching System): The Pantone matching system is used for specifying and blending match colors. It provides designers with swatches of over 700 colors and gives printers the recipes for making those colors. Pantones are generally used as spot colors, such as logos, to ensure color consistency for corporate identities. However, they can also be used in halftone graphics and for duotones. Pantones can also be simulated using the colors from the CMYK spectrum. Pantone publishes a guide for doing so. The results, however, vary greatly from the original Pantone choice, especially for greens and oranges.
Postscript: A page markup computer language designed specifically for type and graphics in page layout.
PowisPrinter: Foil printer designed to add titles to spines on tape-bound books.
Pressure Sensitive Adhesive: Adhesive that does not require heating. Powis Parker uses this type of adhesive on its Hardcover adhesive panels, Foilfast Title sheets, and Perfectback LF and PS strips.
Proof: Test sheet made to reveal errors or flaws, predict results on press and record how a printing job is intended to appear when finished. Soft Proof ‹ proof for content via a digital file such as pdf, jpeg, etc. This is for non-color critical proofing. Press Proof ‹ proof for content and color via a printed copy. This method is usually recommended for color critical jobs.
Pull Test: A test used to test how firmly a sheet of paper is attached to its binding (see also, "Newton").
Punch and Bind: Any of the binding systems that create documents by first punching the sheets and then attaching the binding element through the punched holes (e.g. velobind or coil binding).
Quarter Binding: A process that uses two different materials on a hard cover, so that the material on the spine wraps approximately one-quarter of the way around the cover.
Ream: 500 sheets of paper.
Release Paper: The paper that covers and adhesive panel on a Fastback Hardcover, or a Perfectback strip. The release paper is removed to expose the adhesive for binding.
Roughing: See "Milling."
Score: A thin, creased line in a sheet of paper, often applied to make stiff material fold at a specific point (such as a paperback book cover).
Scrapbooking: The popular hobby of creating individually made books, often containing photographs and artwork. Many times, the scrapbooks are designed to create a record of memorable events.
Sewing: Collections of folded or loose pages sewn together along the binding edge. Sewing is often used with custom-made hard-bound books. This is a very sturdy form of binding, but it requires expensive sewing equipment.
Short Grain: see "Paper Grain."
Signature: A collection of pages created from a single printed sheet that is then folded and bound. Also the trade name for the adhesive sheets used with the PhotoPress to create books.
Silver Halide: Paper used to make traditional photographic prints with a chemical development process.
Smart Strip Technology: The technology that makes it possible for Fastback binders to automatically adjust bind cycle settings for each type of strip.
Softcover: Wraparound cover made of stiff cover weight paper like those found on paperback books.
Speed Strip: Powis Parker binding strip designed to provide the fastest bind possible. Ideal for high-volume or quick turnaround environments.
Spine: The bound edge of a book.
Spine Wrap: A patented process created by Powis Parker to allow you to add foil printed custom Quarter Panel wraps (see also, "Quarter Binding").
Spread: An image or graphic that runs across more than one page.
Splitter: The Fastback Splitter is a device that creates micro-channels in the center of sheets of paper to help improve the binding. It is primarily intended for use with coated paper.
Spot Color: In offset printing, a spot color is any color generated by an ink (pure or mixed) that is printed using a single run.
Stitcher: Powis Parker's stapling equipment. Part of the Studio Photobook System.
StitchFree™: Powis Parker's process to create books that are as sturdy as sewn or stapled books, but without the expense of sewing, or the restrictions of wire stitching.
Stitching: A stapling process using spooled wire instead of individual staples. The term is also sometimes used to refer to sewing. Often used in a saddle or side method to bind pamphlets and brochures.
Strip Binding: The process of binding with a thermoplastic adhesive strip. Sometimes also referred to as tape binding. See also: Tape Binding.
Studio Photobook System: Powis Parker's economy photobook production system. Designed for small businesses or copy centers and print shops that want to add photobooks to their available products. the primary Studio Photobook System consist of  the 9 binder, Stitcher, and Hardcover Guide. Supplies are also available for use with the 15xs binder and third-party stitching and stapling equipment.
Suede Cover: Powis Parker's suede leather-like paper-based cover material.
Super: See "Crash."
Super Strip: Powis Parker's most versatile strip. Ideal for most tape-binding and hard cover binding purposes.
Tape Binding: A generic term for the process of binding a book using an external strip of tape. Tape binding refers to both pressure-sensitive adhesive tapes and thermoplastic adhesive tapes.
Temperature Activated Adhesive: Adhesive that is inert until heated. Adhesives of this type are used on all Powis Parker strips.
Thermoplastic Adhesive: A heat-activated, plastic binding substance used to replace traditional animal-based adhesives. The adhesive softens when heated and hardens when it cools.
Typeface: A type style of a single design (e.g., Garamond Light).
Variable Information Postscript Printware (VIPP): VIPP is an open language from Xerox that enables highest-performance output of personalized (variable-data) PostScript documents
Variable Information Printing: The ability to change specific items of information within a document as it prints. Variable Information Printing is used to create several copies of a single document with the information slightly altered according to which person will receive the document. For instance, if you want a different person’s name to appear on the cover of each copy of a book.
Vector Graphics: Vector Graphics are graphics that are made up of geometrically defined shapes rather than individual pixels. This allows the graphics to be resized without encountering "pixilation," or jagged edges. For this reason, vector graphics are preferred for geometric and non-photographic design elements, such as logos and illustrations.
Velobind: A punch-and-bind process that uses a thin strip of plastic that holds the pages in place. Pages cannot be removed or replaced without destroying and replacing the binding strip.
Wrapped Window: A window on the front of a Photobook Hardcover that has the cover material wrapped completely around the window resulting in a more finished final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment