Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Context of practice - Final evaluation


1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Context of practice two has bought me to think about content and design more thoroughly, in previous modules I have tried to concentrate more on the appearance of design as apposed to the valid information that needs to be presented on it. Having to investigate appropriate content to connect with a design strategy has been a useful learning process. I have experimented a little more with processes during the design period to adapt me designs further from just print based work. 

2. What approaches to/ methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I believe my editing skills on photoshop have improved since the beginning of the year, and in doing so I have been able to incorporate photographic work into my designs which is something I wanted to achieve. A mixture between photo making and vector designing are skills I wanted to progress in. I feel I have achieved a level of understanding about graphic design in terns of producing work which is appropriate for the brief such as deigning for what suits the the concept as apposed to what suits me, falling into the habit of designing along with a trend is not something I want to do.  


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

Packaging design is something I would like to get into, especially cosmetics and perfume design so this brief that I set for my self was perfect to experiment with. Because I enjoyed the brief I am a lot happier with the end result of the publication and I think this is shown in the work, at times I found it difficult to bring the designs together, but i think trial and error payed off. 

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

Unfortunately my time management skills let me down and I didn't allow myself enough time to experiment with numerous different processes like I wanted to. A weakness in my work is the lack of vibrancy in the colours on the designs, Realistically I should have altered the designs and printed them again but time and cost of printing was an issue. Although I wanted all of the packages to look individual based on the shape of them and what their content should be (core makeup items) I wish I had produces more consistent designs through out so the series of designs had more of an identity, although this wasn't essential I just think it could have improved the final outcome. 

5. Identify 5 things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
Manage my time more effectively to be able to experiment more with designs and processes more as I believe this will benefit the end results of my work. 
Spend less time blogging and more time designing, although both are equally important I found myself researching more than I necessary needed considering I kew what designs I wanted to produce initially. 
Start designs sooner as a posed to leaving them until last minute/ with less tim to achieve the results I want. 
Allow myself to enjoy the work and not get too stressed as both can be reflected in the work. 
Plan and schedule myself to short deadline/ studio deadlines to get the work done on time so there is no hectic rush just before a deadline.


6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:

Attendance: 3
Punctuality: 4
Motivation: 3
Commitment: 4
Quantity of work produced: 3
Quality of work produced: 4
Contribution to the group: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment